Saturday, October 22, 2011

Micucci's!


The Sicilian Slice!  Apparently, this is a really big fucking deal.  I’ve heard from three different people that there is no point in eating any other pizza than this in Portland.  You have to go at certain points of the day or else they won’t make it, there is usually a line, blah blah blah.  I went at 3:00 on a Saturday and there was a sign that said “Sicilian slices in 30 minutes”, which is just a ridiculous amount of pomp and circumstance for a slice of pizza.  The wall had a detailed list of “What makes our pizza so good?” and had notes written by people from Chicago and New York, along the lines of “I live in Pizzaville, USA, but this is the best pizza I’ve ever had!” and all the five-star reviews and headlines declaring never has there ever been a greater pizza plastered the walls.  So, I had some stuff to look at for a half an hour.

Smell : Well, I had time to get accustomed to it.  Micucci’s, like Pie In The Sky, is a bakery that prides itself on it’s pizza sauce.  But it’s also located in a Italian grocer, so clearly, they know something about good pizza.  But the smell that permeated the sitting area was more yeasty and bready than saucy and pizzay.  So, it only gets 3/5

Appearance : I thought it rocked.  I sent a picture of it to my friend and he replied “Ew”, so there’s that.  It basically looks like someone baked  a huge fucking slab of dough, and a child threw sauce and cheese at it.  But in a good way.  It’s going to lose half a point before of the “ew” and it’s going to lose another full point because yes, it looked yummy, but it did not look like pizza.  3.5/5

Cheese: Yes!  Perfect cheese.  This was the perfect cheese.  Here are all of the reasons that this cheese is the perfect cheese.  1) It was 100% mozzarella, so it had a lovely stringiness.  2) It was browned an exactly perfectly geometrically and aesthetically pleasing amount.  3) It did not cover the entire pizza, so the other flavors were allowed to shine as well.  4) The taste was perfect and moist and lovely.  Can I give it more than five?  If I could give it more than 5, I would give it more than 5.  5/5

Crust:  Rich and earthy and soft.  The flavor was amazing, but there was no way in hell that I could pick up this pizza.  First, it was huge, but secondly, the crust was too thick and soft to even begin thinking about it.  It was delicious crust, but it loses a point based on the fact that I couldn’t pick it up.  Pizza is something that needs to be picked up.  4/5

Sauce: Really yummy, tomato-y and fresh.  However, if you read this blog (which you probably don’t), you know that I like a nice, dense, spicy, oregano-y, lush sauce.  When you inch too closely to marinara…which this sauce *courted*, but did not reach..then you lose a point.  So I am going to give it 4.3 for sauce.

Overall experience:  Okay, even though I made fun of it before, the atmosphere really did add to it.  I really felt like I was in for an experience, and it was.  You anxiously sat next to a series of wooden shelves holding up fresh-baked bread, waiting to see the Sicilian slices being loaded up on the bottom shelf.  There was lots of oregano to put on top, and only two wirey tables, which made it feel like you were special in getting to sit down and eat pizza.  4/5.

Okay, an average of the individual components brings us to 8.1.  Just sneaking by Pizza Joint’s 7.9, but still shy of our frontrunner, Portland Pie Company, and their glorious 8.4.  This is getting exciting, you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment