Thursday, August 25, 2011

Legal Dramas : The Story, The Rules

As many of you already know, going into law school may or may not be the next step of my life.  There are a lot of tactical/financial/personal factors that are affecting the completion of this decision.  That said, fuck those silly and grown up things like “tactical/financial/personal factors”.  Before I can make any comprehensive decisions about law school, I have to watch all of the great legal dramas.  Obviously.

12 Angry Men is one of my favorite movies.  I would divulge into what makes it so incredible for me, but suffice to say that I think it is absolutely the most brilliant film I have ever seen in the manner that it builds tension, and I think it address all of the problems of the legal system, with an adorable Henry Fonda sitting back as our moral compass.  I just have to put that out there because it is such an important film to me.  That said, I have excluded reviewing legal films I have already seen for the purposes of this study, so that’s all you get to hear about 12 Angry Men for now/ever!

That said, here is the list of quintessential legal films that I will watch before I make any decision, in my brain or heart or on paper, about law school.

1)      To Kill A Mockingbird
2)      The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
3)      Anatomy of a Murder
4)      Inherit the Wind
5)      Witness for the Prosecution
6)      Breaker Morant
7)      The Verdict
8)      Judgment at Nuremberg
9)      A Man for All Seasons
10)   A Few Good Men
11)   Kramer Vs. Kramer
12)   The Paper Chase
13)   Compulsion
14)   In The Name Of The Father
15)   Young Mr. Lincoln
16)    Bleak House
17)    Gideon’s Trumpet
18)    Michael Clayton
19)    A Civil Action
20)    Adam’s Rib
21)    The Trial

As I go through them, I will just write my general reactions on the film and talk about where that has lead me and my thoughts on the legal profession.  That last bit might get a little weirdly personal, so if you don’t want to know me that well, then you might wanna skip that shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment